Friday 28 March 2014

On this 21st Birthday

On this day, 28th March,2014, as I celebrate my 21st birthday, I, Daniel Kalya Kiptiony, being of safe and sound mind, want to thank the almighty God for his grace, love and mercies just to enable me reach this new point in my life. Most of the times we take it for granted when we celebrate our birthdays and generally when we see a new day. We take it as a guarantee when we wake up in the morning well and good and I dont blame us for doing so because that is what we are used to doing. All our lives, we know that going to bed and wakin up in the morning is a norm. It is just the daily grind and this repetitive act makes us take waking up every single morning for granted while in fact, it is a miracle waking up in the morning. That is why, as I celebrate my birthday today I just want to thank God for his grace and his favour. It is God's favour for me to see this day and this new year in my life. 21 years ago, in a land far away (I am serious about this btw) my mom was huffing and puffing! Actually, she wasn't huffing and puffing coz I was born via C-section. Push for who? I refused to be pushed out! I decided, "If they are not coming for me, I am staying put right here. Let's see who will win." and I proceeded to suck my thumb like the boss I was. As expected, I had my way but I got a thorough spanking as soon as I got into this world. I can imagine being taken into my dad's hand, he was a young man at that time, should have been 26 almost turning 27 and my mom 25. My mom maybe was unconscious (I am not  sure, I am imagining all these) and my dad must have been confused, happy, scared all at once. I was (and still am) the firstborn and my dad must have been probably wondering, "What do I do with this thing?" thank God he did the right thing and took really good care of us, my mom and I. I arrived in this world at a time when they were both studying abroad. I imagine I spoilt a really good study date. Probably they were preparing for a CAT, or they were heading out for a picnic and my dad was like "Honey, where is the water bottle? I can't seem to find it." and my mom shouts from the room "My water broke!" lol the picture I am having in my head, my dad then probably said something like "Honey water can't break, it is in liquid state remember?" then my mom says, "Noooo! My water just broke!" and my dad is like "Are you sure you are not talking about the bottle? Coz water definitely cannot break. I wonder if I could find one in the mall, I remember you loved the green one..." "Honey the baby is coming!" must have been the cry that got him to his senses. Anyway, probably he took my mom to the hospital and then I was delivered and all and at that time when my mother was recovering and I was still cute he took care of us. He always tells us how he fed both of us so well that we looked like we were stung by bees hehe.
Fast forward to the time when we were back home, i trying to walk and talk, my parents encouraging me "Stand up, stand up Kalya." and trying to make me say "Mama" and "Baba" and all that stuff and eventually i got to learn how to walk and talk and the message changed from "Stand up Kalya" to "Kalya! Can you sit down!" Isnt it weird how parents spend the first few years of your life trying to make you stand up and when you finally do it they keep telling you to sit down. The irony of life. The same applies to talking. For me, I understand it when they tell me to shut-up coz I can be pretty loud at times, especially when watching football. 3 years down the line, on 1st May, 1996 my baby sister came into the world, my mother literally was in labor on Labour day. I hope Atwoli is taking notes, she should be awarded for being a faithful worker or something. My sister is the cutest thing ever! She came and stole my shine and now started having to share my stuff with her. On the bright side, i had someone to bully lol. That caused me a fair amount of beating though. My sister used to look up to me so much when we were young, she'll probably kill me for revealing this but she was an absolute tomboy. She used to love shaving her hair, like jordan! We'd wear matching clothes, she never liked dresses, even as she started going to nursery school, she used to wear shorts so that she could look like me. She has changed so much since then though, nowadays she like the absolute diva. Seeing her wardrobe confuses me, make-up kits, i dont know how many types of oils, they are so many! I only use vaseline and that is enough for me. Anyway lets not act surprised. It is a known fact that as girls grow to become women, the level of complication also rises. I love her so so much all the same.
Fast forward 6 years later to 7th March, 2002 when my baby bro was born, the little one of the family. My sister and I were so excited, we were both hoping for a boy, we chose where he was born, he is the one who i can remember the day he was born, we held him, loved him and he is growing up so well, though there is a high chance that he will grow taller than me. He has the sweetest voice ever! Ladies melt when they hear him speak, let alone sing. Its a good thing that he is 9 years younger otherwise he would have stolen my girl from me. I love him so so much and he is the best brother like ever. He is only 12 but the guy can cook like crazy. Look at all you ladies cursing why you had to be born in the 90's, lol look for your own cooks ladies.
Fast forward 11 years later to 1st January, 2013 when I asked out one ever beautiful, all stunning, super gorgeous, head turning, jaw dropping, conversation stopping lady to be my girlfriend. Needless to say she said yes when I asked her out, I mean, can say no to all of this? A big pile of goodness. That is a big deal for me because that was and still is my first relationship (romantic that is), God willing, I have every intention of it being the only one. I know i am young but a man got to have a plan for the future yawa. Can I hear an Amen ladies? No? all I hear are faint mumbles, I understand though. You all are gutted that I am taken. My apologies. I am afraid I cannot be shared.
All this quick flashback is me just thinking about my life and how blessed I am to be able to see this new year and actually thanking God for it. Those are not the only things. I usually consider myself to have 2 moms and dads. There is my biological mother who I love with all my heart and then there is Aunty Tabs. A wonderful lady who took care of me in my first year of university together with her hubby Uncle King. I usually say that I came to Nairobi for further studies and these are the people who took good care of me. They called me their lost son hehe, and their sons are like my small brothers. I am ever grateful to God for putting such people in my life.Then there are my friends. I have so many good friends. Mwendwa and Mulinge are prolly my big brothers, apparently I used to run to their place whenever my mom cooked githeri at home. My childhood was so much fun, all my classmates from primary to high school to university, then there are these brothers of mine in Mabalozi Acappella (Like the fb page guys) who make me laugh so much and help me grow spiritually as we go out doing what we love doing, which is singing and using the gift that God gave us to bring people closer to God. These fellas are awesome. Then there is this man Allan, i just had to mention him separately because this morning he was like "You guy its your birthday! Lets go play fifa" and rather than let me win because it is my special day the guy whopped me good. The scoreline is sealed (My girlfriend will probably disown me).
All in all, on this 21st birthday, I choose to thank God for who he is and for the blessings he has bestowed upon me, this day I will not take for granted. To mom and dad, as you read this, I love you guys so much, I know I wasn't able to celebrate this day with you guys but you guys mean everything to me, I wouldn't have been here if it were not for you. You have supported me, brought me up in God's word, taught me, encouraged me when I was down, supported me in my ventures, encouraged me to hone my talents, you guys know me and I am blessed to have such wonderful parents. The best parents in the world and it is my prayer that God will bless you guys ever so abundantly. My girlfriend is also a big blessing to my life, she is beautiful, that is a fact, yes but more than that she is like the best ever. Loving, kind, generous, God-fearing, compassionate. The little things that she does that make me feel like a man's man, the alpha male hehe. I'm just kidding though she is the best. My greener pastures hehe. Over the year we have grown together and helped each other become better people.
Thank you God for your awesomeness in my life.

PS my M-pesa line is open for everyone who wishes to celebrate my birthday with me but because of distance it is not possible, thank God for M-pesa because celebrating with me has been made easier.

8 comments:

  1. hehe!! Kalya this piece is amazing ....I can't help but laugh!! hehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!!this is great,and funny!I'd die to see the face of your folks when they read this!
    Happy Birthday Kalya

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha thank you Nathan. The whole scenario was playing out in my head

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece of article. I see that you have coma along way. Man I feel good about what God is doing in you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalya, when you 'grow' up, I will tell you about broken water and your father's fury over the two Dr's in the labour room. This is a great piece. I am glad I inherited my creative writing skills from you. Hope to dedicate a book to you on your 22nd birthday. Mama Kalya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great great piece Kalya.. Push for who!? Haha

    ReplyDelete