Tuesday 11 February 2014

Bus Preachers. Sheer guts

11th February, 2014. Valentine's day is just 3 days away. I am sure all my lady readers have the countdown on your fingertips, right up to the second. I, on the other hand, and I believe that I speak for all men when I say this, am utterly terrified. Why did Valentine's day have to come on a Friday this year. Its a black Friday out here I tell you. Black Friday! We have nowhere to run to. If we go missing on Friday, the ladies have an extra two days to catch us. Do you realize how long two days are for a motivated woman? I dont even want to think about it. It just dawned on me, my Valentine is going to read this post. You may think that I am getting myself in hot water but actually it is a strategy. Okay, more of a gamble. You see, using this approach that I have taken, there are two things invloved (Please use Basket Mouth's accent while reading this part, thank you). One is that my dear, sweet Valentine's date (who is actually my girlfriend) will get mad that I am not a fan of Valentine's and she will be so mad that she will not talk to me till Monday, 16th February 2014 when she will have missed me too much, the other one, which is less likely, in fact chances are tending towards zero, is that my dear, sweet, loving, caring, girlfriend is going to feel my plight and understand the trouble and anguish that this Valentine's day causes us men and that she is going to sit me down and smother me with loving and kind words such as "No honey, you need not take me to dinner, your presence fills my appetite." and "Baby, you dont have to take out your wallet, I know you have been saving for Fifa 14, dont lose focus of the goal my sweet. Save money, take me to Altona's." (For my international audience, Altona's is a fast food chain in Kenya. It isnt a franchise though and its quite cheap). That would be music to my ears. Gentlemen, if you get a girlfriend like that, wife her now and thank me later. She is the epitome of understanding and all good things. Either that or your FIFA 14 is going to get broken to pieces, just like you broke her heart by not treating her on Valentine's day. All this can be avoided though, we can always hide our FIFA 14 CD's. We could come up with like a joint account or something. A safe of sorts where we stash our Fifa 14's. Anyway, enough of this Valentine's dillemma. Thats not what brought us here.
So today while heading to work, I boarded one of those buses which happened to have a bus preacher. I got to say, those guys have guts. It is not easy to stand in a bus and preach to a bunch of strangers. Not just strangers, but skeptics. Skeptics are there in plenty. You see, pastors have it easier because the congregation have come to church for a reason, the congregation is united in one goal, which is to hear the word. While preaching, they are not invading in your space or anything because you took yourself to church voluntarily. Bus preachers on the other hand take themselves to you. You did not ask them to come or ask them to speak. As a matter of fact, it is them who force you to listen to them. They are usually really loud. I remember I was trying to read an article on my phone but I just couldnt concentrate. I couldnt. I didnt have my earphones so I couldnt drown myself in music or Maina and King'ang'i in the morning. I was left with this loud preacher. I had no other option. So I put my phone in my pocket and listened to what he was saying, okay not really listening but more of hearing words because I was in a world of thoughts. At one point though, I found myself thinking like the Christian that I am and I couldnt help but smile in admiration. I mean, the guts that this preacher had is no ordinary guts. I am a pretty confident person, if I could say so myself. That is like one of my outstanding attributes that attracted my girlfriend to me (because of confidence I have this whole Valentine's dillema. Darn you Mr. Confidence) have I told you that she's a beauty? My goodness she is. A gift from God. Whenever I look at her and stare at her immense beauty I tell myself "When God took a rest on the 7th day, he was thinking of an action plan on how to create her." If you doubt what I am saying just ask @capoKenn, @NewnexBrian or @honor_ronoh on twitter. They will say what I have said is true beyond any reasonable doubt. Now look at all the ladies going "Awwwwwwh", thank you ladies, I am a sweet guy. Anyway, what was I saying, see how thinking about her just made me go blank. She shouldnt blame me if I forget about Valentine's day because when I think of her nothing else occupies my mind. Sharp thinking is also another thing that attracted  her to me.
Where was I? Oh yes, I am a pretty confident guy but I am not really sure I have the guts to preach in a bus. I mean there are hecklers in there. People would outrightly put you off and tell you to shut up. In this day and age the number of unbelievers is really high, especially those unbelievers who are vocal about it. Just yesterday I was listening to Larry Asego on classic 105 Overdrive and the topic was whether Christianity is relevant in modern day Kenya. He was asking whether churches are really necessary or whether they should be converted into "More important things" such as schools or clinics. Really sad. Listening to that yesterday and today looking at that bus preacher preaching God's word, reading the Bible to us and breaking into a song of praise really challenged my and should be a challenge to all the Christians out here. The Bible in Mark 16:15 says "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." It is an order to us Christians to preach the gospel of Christ and to take it to others. Making it known to guys and to do this, for me to be able to stand on a bus and preach I will most definitely have to grow a pair. For us it is just a matter of hearing the call and heeding it, like in Isaiah 6:8 And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.” That is the challenge that I got today from that bus preacher. Growing a pair and actually proclaiming your stand. Declaring that you are on the Lord's side and asking guys to join you.Sometimes all it takes is some guts and you will have done something good. Thats all it takes. That is the challenge.
Anyway, before I leave you to ponder, I have to revisit this issue that rears its head every 14th of February each and every year, consistently, without having any regard for the gentlemen who have barely recovered from Njaanuary (for the international audience, Njaa means hunger, I hope so see what I did there). As a man, I believe it is my duty to deliver the binding agreement that was reached upon by TNOBAH, The National Association of Boyfriends and Husbands. In a press release dated Monday, 10th February, 2014.
"Dear Girlfriends, Wives and side chicks, due to certain circumstances beyond our control such as the increase in parking fee from Kes 140/- to Kes 300/-, the sudden appearance of drought in Turkana again, The looming impeachment of Embu Governor, The increase in NSSF rates, the frequent blackouts, Al-Shabab strolling through and having coffee at our airports etc we shall neither be taking part nor be available during this year's Valentine Day Celebration. Our country needs prayers and fasting and all men have agreed to engage in fasting and prayers through February 12th to 16th 2014. We humbly advice you to visit your parents and other family members to spend Valentine's day with them. After all, they are loved ones as well. We wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day celebration in advance. We will talk to you on the 16th of Feb, 2014. Thanks for your usual cooperation.
Signed
National Association of Boyfriends and Husbands.

And on that bombshell, do have yourself a lovely and blessed day. And to all gentlemen during this trying period, take heart. Together we will overcome. Whatever you do to spoil your lady, remember 1st Corinthians 13:4-7 "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

14 comments:

  1. Hahaha we'll still be waiting for this so called 'dreadful' day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. It is not so called. Years of research has established that it is indeed a dreadful day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had no idea that you could write....and also sound funny...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. Thanks Christine. I'm actually holding my cheeks to stop myself from blushing. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good piece Kalya!
    ...and there are loans on M-Shwari that could save the day

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great Kalya! Interesting, enlightening and humorous all at the same time!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha Reuben I see you want me to leverage for Valentine's day. Thanks Arthur and Beryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. This creativity is admirable. Like mother like son ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This creativity is admirable. Like mother like son ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe. Thank you mom. It means alot coming from you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this Kalya. Its amazing.

    ReplyDelete