Tuesday 18 February 2014

Secret to a good relationship

I had a feeling that this is going to be a head turner. For some strange, unexplained reason, people have an urge to open any link that has the word relationship on it. Incredibly, many people generally assume that it's ladies who do it but today I am going to be a whistleblower (ladies you can thank me later) After this small whistleblowing escapade, I shall have to find myself a plane to Switzerland and hijack it because my life is going to be in significant danger. An Ethiopian Airlines preferably. Btw, that Ethiopian Airlines co-pilot who hijacked the plane, what was/is wrong with him? I am trying not to digress but couldnt he just land in Rome then take a train to Geneva and then ask for asylum? That makes sense to me. I find the whole thing funny though.
Men are the worst! They are the real silent readers just ask one @Rutovski, in fact, a good number have notebooks with them as they read these relationship articles, preparing mwakenyas because the struggle to woo a lady is real. It is hard I tell you. Difficult! I can hear the men shouting "PREACH BROTHER!" Preach I shall. Ladies you are very complicated creatures. Ask me why? For so many reasons, for instance, you guys like, scratch that, LOOOOVE Valentines day, I mean, who does that? Valentine was a Saint! Ideally we should all be going to church on February 14th but Nooooooo, you wouldnt have that, rather than we men worrying about the slight financial matter that would be offerings for that Sunday we have to step up to the plate (I have never got that, why would you step up to the plate yet you eat from there? Talk of stepping where you eat. I mean we have stools and ladders for stepping up) and take people to sijui The Tribe Hotel and get dresses and buy Gulliyan (did I spell that correctly?) and perfumes and all other things that are considered romantic, we have to do all this without even giving thought to the fact that financial scars from Njaanuary had barely left us. On that note, my fellow men, if you did not get an advance on your salary for Valentines, I feel you. I empathise, not sympathise, with you. It is going to be a tough 10 days for you till end month. I would have asked you to buckle up and brace yourself but most probably you'd need to sell the belt and buckle just to get by.
Anyway, despite this obvious flaw that is the love for Valentine's day, we still love you ladies to the extent of getting into a relationship with you guys. Last night I found myself thinking, actually no, I wasnt thinking, it just hit me! Like for real it hit me! Hit me to the extent of me saying I must write a blog about it. The main building block in a relationship is friendship. That is the main thing. After that thought hit me is when I started thinking. I thought about my friends. Especially those whom we've been friends for a quite a while and I thought about what we've gone through. For a good number of them, the friendship has perservered despite the number of conflicts...and fights that we have had over time. One Julius Amdany literally forced me into early retirement in high school football. In form three, during an inter-class game between my class and his, as I was doing my thing, shining as I mesmerized defenders who just lay sprawling on the ground, well-beaten, the guy came from nowhere and tackled me from behind. A career threatening injury it was. I sustained ligament damages on my knee that forced me to put on knee-support for the rest of the year (that was in first term mark you), however, that did not deter me! Like the mythical phoenix, I rose from the ashes. As soon as I was mobile again, I reinvented myself and became the class goalkeeper. I was pretty good I must say, a much better improvement to the error prone Allan Ronoh who had been trying to hold the fort. My stint as goalie was to be short-lived though because barely a year later, in form four, first term, the same Julius Drog Amdany, decided to break my hand. Another inter-class game, there was a foul on one of their players in the D, enter Julius Drog Amdany to take the penalty, he drove it to the right hand side of the goal and a mighty dive from yours truly ensured the ball couldnt get in but it was a stinging shot! I felt a shot of pain going through my body, the medical team came on and just pulled my wrist and i was ready to get back on the pitch. It was too painful though. To cut a long story short, he broke my hand. That officially led to my retirement as a high-school football player. My class was devastated, losing such a big player! Massive massive loss. Needless to say, they never reached their great heights since my retirement.
What am I saying? I am saying that despite this deliberate attack on my career by the guy, Julius and I are really good friends. Many other stories, dont get me started on one Daniel Okuku, the number of fights I have had with this guy but coz we are friends we always sort out our issues because that is what friends do. For the sake of gender equality (or is it equity? Pick whichever floats your boat) let me use a few lady examples as well. Now there is this Jackylne Njeri the number of fights and silent treatments I have got from her only God knows. Then there is one Daisy Jeruto who we've had conflicts with (though mostly I was the bad one). I very nearly forgot about one Liza Maru. This lady is pure fire! My entire high school life was an argument with her. Good times though. Real good times. It was like a dissing warfare with her and the rest of our classmates being the audience. Many times it got too personal to the extent of other guys telling us "Yo guys thats too much" but we always forgave and we remain good friends.
Why have I said all this? Well, because many times when I hear the way relationships have ended, its because guys did not start out as friends. The relationship is used as a means to an end. It is very important that in your relationship you guys are friends. This has really helped me out in my relationship with the one and only, the lovely, the beautiful,the cheerful, the gorgeous, have I said beautiful? If I did not, let me say, the beautiful Jacqueline Komen. Like every other relationship, we've had our fights, differences, conflicts (some really ugly) but the fact that we are friends with each other helps us to come to an amicable agreement (some take weeks, others minutes). I am not saying I have the perfect relationship but so far friendship has played a major role in what we do and I can say that I am proud of what I have.
Friendship is a core value not only in romantic relationships (if I may call it so) but in all sorts of relationships. Relationships with your parents, personally, I consider my parents my friends and they are a blessing to me and my siblings. My brother and my sister are my friends, my classmates, colleagues, even in business. Who you deal with should ideally be your friends. I know there is a perception that people shouldnt do business with their friends but business is a matter of trust and if you cant trust your friend, who can you trust?
The challenge for the day is to be friends with those around you. The Bible (I must always leave you guys with a Bible verse at least) in Romans 12:18 says, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."
The Bible in that verse tells us to leave at peace with everyone in as far as it depends on us and I believe being friends with everyone goes a long way in living at peace with everyone. Have a blessed and friendful day (if that even exists)

PS: I am not bragging or anything, but during Valentine's day, I still had a FIFA tournament. Jelous much guys? How I did it is topic for a whole other blog post. 

12 comments:

  1. Weeee!how come i aint on this is friendship list?lol...though come to think of it we never crossed paths!:) we are an example of those perfect friendships out there,lol but nhu good advice right there Kalya!!keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe. We should choose a day when we fight. Si unajua you are in the friendship list ya huko kwa heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. PREACH BROTHER!!! PREEEEEEACH!!!!!!
    Nice article Kalya never knew you can write this much basically a've been stalking your blog for quite sometime now!!!! btw i spend the better part of my valentine in church, you just reminded me this thing =========>FRIENDSHIP,
    The likes of you Julius Amdany, Daisy Jeruto and the one Jacqueline Komen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe. Thanks Ezer. You were in church! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the stints with Liza... :-) Good times.
    Keep writing Kalya... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome!!well explained and on point!keep up Kalya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe Lucy those were good times. Thank you Beryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally worth the read Kalya.
    Great piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well well. Good story bro. Wonder what inspired you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it isn't too late to say that I have learnt much from your post...Wisdom Kalya,Wisdom.

    ReplyDelete